I am a wife and a mother of three.

23/02/2017

AUTHOR CATCH UP INTERVIEW WITH ELLIE WILLIAMS

AUTHOR CATCH UP
INTERVIEW
WITH
ELLIE WILLIAMS




Hi, Danni, can you tell us a little about yourself and what you been up to since we last spoke on 19th March 2015?



I am Author Ellie Williams. Also known as Danni Ellie Williams, Indie Author Editor. I have 5 out of 15 books published which are a part of my book series the A Broken Paradise Series. I also have my short story published in the Love, Lust & Scary Monster Anthology – it’s called The Craze. And I part released a short of my Nissa Will Fall in the Tales from Wales Anthology. I hope to complete another book for my Series which is going to be called The Gathering. I am working on a short story chronicles which I’ve called Discover the Imaginarium – I have completed 7 of 10 Stories in this collection. I also hope to finish the collaboration I have done with my mam (Author S.M Williams) called The Reapers.





Why did you choose to write in your particular field or genre? If you write more than one, how do you balance them?

I started off with Paranormal Romance. I’m a sucker for it lol. I started writing my book series when I was 13; it’s grown with me. I have ventured out – I have a horror, thriller, crime, courtroom drama and Erotica on the go as well. As far as balancing them I just wing it lol

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

How my mind works, how it adapts to certain situations and how much I myself learn from my characters as they develop. I have over 17 Characters I write POV’s for. Each one has to be different, each one unique. It really isn’t easy and anyone who tells you it is – is lying lol, and most of all these people are
 friends who class themselves as family, they clash from time to time, but they’re family. You have to watch them as you write them and their POV’s because one little thing can change everyone. It’s fun lol




What is the first book that made you cry?

Oh, bloody hell. Ummm, I think it was Spindler’s List. I was very young, and I wanted to watch the film, but my sister had the book, and she told me to read it first, so I did. I balled my eyes out, and never watched the film.

What are common traps for aspiring writers?

Self-doubt. Over the years, I’ve got to watch and know many new Authors, and they all have the same problem – Just as I did. Self-Doubt. Don’t ever doubt yourself and don’t ever let critics bring you down. Listen to what they say, take it in, learn from it and grow. Not everyone is going to like your work but remember your work reflects your mood and your determination so always be ready, excited and pleased to shit about your work. It will show in your books, and there’s nothing more amazing than experiencing the Author through their words.

What has your experience been like as an indie author? Bruises, highlights, lessons.

Bruises – I had a rocky few years after I first published. I think I’m still picking myself up. Getting out there and finding me some readers.

Highlights – Reviews. I must say there’s nothing more amazing when someone gets you, gets your work, gets what you’re trying to accomplish. Brilliant like.

Lessons – Don’t rush and don’t fold. I rushed a lot of my work to get it out there, and it wasn’t ready. I’ve revamped all my books now and made them bigger and better. Folding – Some people give up on their writing after bad feedback. Like I said above. Never doubt yourself, take critics on the chin, listen to what they say, take it in, learn from it and grow. Don’t fold.

Does a big ego help or hurt writers?

I see a lot of writers who become arrogant over time. I say be humble, be helpful, be caring. You were where your new Indie Authors are, remember what it was like for you. Being an Indie Author isn’t easy, it’s hard. I think these people who forget themselves hurt their careers and their reputations. Traffic to their sites and other social media links are the only thing that will help if they’re a-holes. A woman (who shall remain nameless) Posted something the other day about Indie Authors, bad things, nasty things. I can only imagine the traffic
 she brought to the site she published her post on. Not to mention her own personally media outlets. 
But I’d say her rep among many has been damaged. I guess many would ask “Was it worth it?”.

What is your writing Kryptonite?

Facebook. Lol

Did you ever consider writing under a pseudonym?

I do. Ellie isn’t my name. Although when I publish my children’s books, I’m actually thinking of using my real name. We’ll see when I finish them; I’m looking for an artist at the moment.

If you could tell your younger writer self anything, 
what would it be?

Patience. Finish your BA Honours, finish your Lvl 3 and then go backpacking lol

If you could spend the day with a character from one of your books who would it be and what would you do?

Sheriton from my ABP Series. And We’d totally go shopping then hit the beach. And then when we got back after sundown it would be party time on North La Peer Dr, West Hollywood at Factory nightclub lol

What was the best money you ever spent as a writer?

I haven’t really I’ve only ever bought a cover that was designed for one of my books lol

How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have?

17 unfinished and half-finished lol

What’s the best way to market your books?

I dunno the best but I just plaster myself over as many 
media outlets as possible lol

What’s the most difficult thing about writing characters from the opposite sex?

Well, men think differently to women. I guess it’s easy to talk, but it’s hard not to sound like a woman while you’re doing it lol

What period of your life do you find you write about most often? (child, teenager, young adult)

Young adult.

How do you select the names of your characters?

At random sometimes. I sometimes look at Origins; I like to know the origins of some names but also the meaning.

Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal 
with bad or good ones?

Thankfully I’ve not had a bad one yet. I love to read my reviews, helps me a lot. Feedback helps a lot. I love to hear what people think of my work.

Do you hide any secrets in your books that only a
 few people will find?

I think if anyone really knows me they’ll find me in all my books. Secrets not so much but experiences defiantly.

What was your hardest scene to write?

There’s been a few. I hate killing off characters. It’s horrible.

Do you Google yourself?

No, but I’m going to now …

Lol cool

What is your favourite childhood book?

Gotta be Roald Dahl books – but my fav … umm, Charlie and the cholate factory, Dirty Beasts, Matilda, The Gremlins, The Witches, Boy and James and the Giant Peach. And my second fav Author as a kid was Sue Townsend. I loved The Secret life of Adrian Mole Age 13 ¾, The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole. True confessions of Margaret Hilda Roberts age 14 ¼, The Great Celestial Cow & The woman who went to bed for a year.

Does your family support your career as a writer?

Yes, of course. They have always supported my love of writing. If anything they’re the ones trying to convince me to go further with my writing and make TV or Movies out of them lol




If you had to do something differently as a child or teenager to become a better writer as an adult, what would you do?

Same answer as I gave for the question about what I’d say to my younger self. I wished I’d finished my BA Honours and was more patient with my work.

How long on average does it take you to write a book?

Used to take me a week lol These days though I take my time. I’d say two months the most. That’s with two rounds of edits, proofreading and gutting and changing lol

Do you believe in writer’s block?

Hell yes. I suffered it for four years lol When it lifts though bloody hell does it feel good. It’s horrible. There’s nothing worse than having so much to say and no voice to say it.

No comments:

Post a Comment