I am a wife and a mother of three.

11/07/2015

kelsey Burns


Please welcome new author Kelsey Burns,

Hi Kelsey how are you today?

I'm fine thank you Louise. A little fragile after too many cocktails last night but otherwise very fine indeed. 

Tell us a little about yourself?

I live in the North East of England. I've been married for millions of years and have two grown up kids. By day I work with special needs children on school transport. I have my very own blog with most 9000 amazing followers and I PA to two fab authors. 

What is your favourite movie?

Dirty Dancing, it never grows old. 

What is your favourite colour?

Black

What star sign are you?

Capricorn 

What is your ring tone on your phone?

Silent/vibrate! I get too many notifications to have any noises on my phone. I'd never get anything done. 

What do your family think about you writing and have they read any of your work?

They've been extremely supportive. My daughter and three nieces have read my work and love it. They say it's fresh, modern and relatable. My mother is an avid reader but I'm not so keen on showing her it. It's a little rude! 

Are you any good in the kitchen and what is your specialiality ?

Lasagne. They say I make a mean lasagne. I have to admit it is quite special. And my quiche is pretty good too. 

What is your favourite food?

I'm always on a diet like most women. When I treat myself I love a good curry. When I'm healthy a roast dinner with home made mint sauce is scrummy.

Are the stories old ones you have saved or new?

I'm a newbie. All my work is new. Although I have got a dark novel part written that I'm excited to get back to when the 'Girls Breaking The Rules' stories are all written.








What is your favourite genre to write?

I've found I'm pretty good at sex. I can write a decent sex scene too. Boom boom! Most of the stuff I've been writing seems to have some humour involved. Even sex is funny! Erotic, comedy romance I'd say. 

When and why did you begin writing?

I started writing late last year. Being a blogger has meant I've become friends with a lot of authors. Certain authors kept telling me to give it a go. One day, on holiday in Turkey, I wrote a prologue to my work in progress 'Reflections' and sent it to three of my closest author friends. And so the madness began. 

When did you first consider yourself a writer?

When I typed 'The End' on Tash and James' story, sent it out for feedback and had great reviews come back. 

Do you have a specific writing style?

I'm writing this series in first person, present at the moment. I feel you can portray feelings well this way. I tend to be a bit of a joker and it does tend to shine through into my writing. 

Who was the easiest character to write for and why?

I'm loving Alexa (Lex). She's feisty and very opinionated. She doesn't give a damn who she offends and she's very protective of her friends. 

Which lead character is your personal favourite and why?

James is rather special. He was my first male lead. He's a firefighter, sexy, calm and cool headed. A bit of a Dom, he likes a bit kink. Johnny on the other hand is funny to be around. His Irish accent is enough to make the ladies drop their knickers. James-Johnny? Decisions decisions!

What was your favorite book as a child?

I didn't read a lot as a child. My obsession started a few years ago. Two books do always remain in my head from my childhood. Stig of The Dump and Charlotte's Web. 

How did you come up with the title?

It happened overnight. It was as easy as that. I literally woke up and knew I wanted to write 'Girls Breaking The Rules'. The storyline was there and screaming to be written. I left the dark erotic suspense I was writing and decided to pursue this series. 



How much of the book is realistic?

If I told you I'd have to kill you! The characters aren't based on anyone specific but my friends relate to a lot of the girls' banter. I used to be a bit of a party animal, so I've seen it, been there, worn the T-shirt so to speak. As with most authors there's a lot of life experience goes into their writing. I'm no different. And what girl doesn't see a bunch of guys and give them marks out of ten? 

Have you ever binned a book when half way through thinking it wasn't good enough?

Yes many times. But I hate bullying and author bashing. I won't tolerate it. Anyone who manages to write and publish needs a medal as far as I'm concerned. Good or bad. 



What books have most influenced your life most?

I can't say that a book has influenced my life. I've related to many but never been influenced by them. 

If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

I work alongside Charlotte Edwards and Marcus Darkley. Assisting/Proof reading their erotic shorts and basically managing their day to day business. There's not a day goes by without us speaking. They've been there from day one of my writing journey and their support and daily mentoring is invaluable. We make a great team. I'm so proud to be publishing under our logo Erotic Dreams. Donna Alam is a fellow northerner and I'm lucky enough to live five minutes away from her. Donna has taught me so much about writing, we also make a great team. We became besties through wine and words. Our morning coffee sessions are quite fun, discussing serious subjects such as how many slang names are out there for vagina?

What book are you reading now?

I'm beta reading for Donna Alam. A novel called Playing Games. 

Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?

Nikki Groom, Donna Alam, NJ Frost, Matthew Metzger are all fabulous. 

What are your current projects?

I'll be finishing up on the girls' with Shelby's story then I'll be getting straight back to 'Reflections'. This is quite a complex story about a woman with an alter ego. Katherine/Kate. She gets up to a lot of naughty business when Kate comes out to play. 

Can you share a little of your current work with us?

I certainly can!

GIRLS BREAKING THE RULES (TASH) 
Copyright © 2015 by Kelsey Burns
PUBLISHED BY:
Erotic Dreams on Kindle

Excerpt

Alexa is not as blessed in the boob department as Shelby or me and it’s not really a necessity for her to wear a bra. Today she’s bra-less; the chill in the air has her nipples displayed at their full glory. 

‘Thank God for that,’ she says, rubbing her arms and climbing into the back seat. ‘I thought you were never going to get here. I’ve been standing outside waiting for fifteen minutes, I’m bloody freezing.’ 

‘Yep, I can see how cold you are Lex.’ Smirking, I point at her nipples. 

‘Bugger off, bitch. It’s thirty degrees in Marbella and I refuse to carry a jacket onto the plane,’ she says as she tries to push her erect nipples back into hiding. It doesn’t work and only fuels my laughter. 

‘Lex, have you ever thought about getting them pierced?’ Shelby asks, her voice heavy with curiosity. ‘I’ve been involved in photo shoots with models who have gorgeous tits with nipple piercings, now that I come to think about it, they were all quite small like yours. Nice and perky though.’ She adds with an air of mischief. 

Shelby likes to swing both ways. From an early age she knew she was bi-sexual and has never been afraid to show it. She says that variety is the spice of life, and not to knock it until you've tried it. I agree with her wholeheartedly–when it comes down to trying a balti rather than a korma. I've even pushed the boat out and gone for a rogan josh. But, pussy–versus cock? No thanks. I’ll pass on that one.

Alexa doesn’t reply for a moment, but she’s unable to hide her cheeky grin before she finally replies.
‘To be honest I have thought about it, but I’d like to go one better than nipple piercings. If I decided to pierce an intimate body part for the purpose of stimulation then it would have to be my clit. How about it girls?’ she asks with a gleam. ‘We could all get one, together this weekend in Marbella.’ 

‘Are you shitting me?’ I ask incredulously as I squeeze my thighs together. ‘No-one and I repeat no–fucking–one is sticking a needle through my lady-boner!’ 

Two minutes later we pull into Heathrow and exit our taxi at terminal three in fits of laughter. 
‘Come on girls,’ I say. ‘Let’s go break the rules.’


Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

Sticking to a routine. Distractions. Remembering not to take it too seriously and enjoy it. Being a PA. Proof reading, blogging and writing takes a lot of time and effort. Not having enough hours in the day is a challenge in itself. I wouldn't swap it for the world though. 

Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

Tiffany Reisz. I would read her shopping lists if I could! She gave me the best characters ever. Soren, Nora and Kingsley from The Original Sinners. 



Who designed the covers?

The fantastic Francessca Webster from Francessca's Romance Reviews. We've worked together for a while now creating covers and graphics for the Erotic Dreams authors. She's got a great talent and she's another huge part of my team. My son also designs some of my teasers and headers. 

Do you have any advice for other writers?

I'm not qualified to give advice, but one thing I'd say is to do it for yourself. I said I'd publish before I hit the big 50 and I've achieved it. It's all about the achievement for me. 

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Thank you! Thank you so much for taking a chance on a newbie like me. Every time one reader says they enjoyed my work I happy dance, jump for joy and pee myself a little! It's an age thing!

Do you have any funny quirks or stories you would like to tell us about yourself?

My friends nick named me 'Flick'. Years ago when under the influence of alcohol and dancing the night away, I often never wanted to go home. In my drunken stupor, I'd go in a mood and flick my hair like a child. 

What do you like to do when your not busy working and writing?

I love to travel. I like to read my kindle in the sun whist being pampered. I also love to attend author book signings. I've been lucky enough to travel Britain meeting authors from all over the world. Recently I visited Chicago and Toronto which was pretty awesome. I'm off to Ireland this week for another event in Dublin. I'm helping assist the authors and cover models *fans face*. Someone has to do it! 
Next year I'm actually a signing author in Leeds. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. 

Where do you see yourself in ten years time?

No idea. Happy and healthy hopefully. That's all I can wish for. 

Thank you for joining me today you have been awesome.

Thank you for having me! I've loved it. It's been a blast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment